iThemes Security Pro Review
WordPress sites get hacked all the time. With this in mind, you need to treat your WordPress site like you would your own physical home. You would lock it up and install an alarm system so nobody can get in. Why not treat your WordPress site like you would your own virtual home?
Plugins are the main mitigating measures for WordPress sites. They’re not sufficient by themselves, of course—you need a multilayered security approach for it to be safe—but they can help a lot. They should thus be considered very carefully.
A good example is the iThemes Security Pro plugin. It used to be known as the Better WP Security plugin, so some of you might recognize it by that name. As you can tell by both names, this is an anti-hacking plugin .
This is pretty impressive for a free plugin that already has brute force protection, file change detection, bad user lockout, and online file comparisons. Most free security plugins lack these features.
Users who really want to take full advantage of its benefits will have to go for the premium version: iThemes Security Pro. This offers additional features like user action logging, two-factor authentication, and iThemes Sync integration—something that lets you manage site security remotely.
Among the features of iThemes Security Pro are:
- a dashboard widget
- Google reCAPTCHA integration
- Two-factor authentication
- User action logging
- import/export settings
- Strong password enforcement based on role
- Temporary role privilege escalation
- WP-CLI integration
- Multiple 2FA capabilities
- Current file permission display
- iThemes Sync integration
- Private ticketed support
Everything else that the free version has, the premium one will have too. This includes, among other things, the brute force protection that we mentioned earlier. So you can set a limit on the number of failed login attempts each user can make, in order to protect against brute force attacks. It also lets you whitelist your own IP if you don't remember your own passkeys and are unable to watch your own activity.
It also works by detecting changes to files. That’s good because hackers will usually alter files on your site. An email alert will tell you if that’s happening and you can fix it.
The list of options goes on. You can block bad users and ban them from the admin area. You can schedule periods of inaccessibility, hide admin URLs for added protection, and run online file comparisons to detect malicious activity.
What We Like About iThemes Security Pro Plugin
- Ease of Use: Not only does the plugin offer a default settings option, but also displays updated Security Status information in an itemized list with “Fix It” buttons when addressing security issues and settings.
- Sucuri SiteCheck: The malware scanner used by iThemes Security Pro is a program called Sucuri SiteCheck, which implements scheduling, email notifications, and a 10-point evaluation
- Good tutorials: There is an ample amount of documentation on things like how to get started and how to utilize its features.
- Excellent usability – The plugin's interface is easy to use and its configuration is extremely straightforward. Even beginners will be able to master it in no time at all.
- Many Features: This plugin gives you a lot of features to protect your website so you don't have to complain about it lacking protection.
What We Don't Like About iThemes Security Pro plugin
- It's safe to mention that security plugins can break your site – This is a given, naturally, but we'll mention it anyway to be safe. You really have to make a complete backup of your site before installing any security plugin, since it changes your website and can break it depending on various factors.
- It doesn't work well with a few hosting plans – A lot of VPS or low-RAM shared hosting plans have trouble running the plugin, especially if you use advanced features like prefix changing and file change detection.
- For some things, you'll still need to edit your htaccess file – This is usually true if you have hacker-drawing pages like the login page that you want to hide.
iThemes Security Pro is a WordPress plugin developed and programmed by technology experts with specialties in WordPress and internet security.
- Brute Force Protection
- Database Backups
- File Change Detection
- Excellent usability
- Hide Login & Admin
- Has Sucuri SiteCheck
- It doesn't work well with a few hosting plans
- For some things, you'll still need to edit your htaccess file
- It could break your site
- It is not bulletproof
ITheme Security Pro is a website security plugin designed to protect WordPress-powered websites against common threats. It is impossible to prevent every attack with a security plugin. The importance of good practices and due diligence cannot be overstated. ITheme Security Pro plugin simplifies the process of implementing these measures.
It is easy to use, powerful, and very reasonably priced considering all it can do. We recommend it. As a result, it's one of the best WordPress security solutions for beginners and small bloggers whose sites use WordPress. That said, it obviously has its limitations.
The malware detectors won't always detect everything: there are going to be times when they fail. The plugin isn't going to be compatible with all hosting plans, so as noted earlier, and it doesn't guarantee a perfect installation on every site.
Install the #1 security plugin on the market, iThemes Security Pro. It is well worth the money and is on par with some of the most advanced security plugins out there.